The Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change is a ministry of the government of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh whose role is ensuring the sustainable environment and optimum forest coverage. Previously the ministry name was Ministry of Environment and Forest. On May 14, 2018 cabinet changed the name to Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change.
Strategic Environmental Assessment (SEA) of South West (SW) Region ofBangladesh for Conserving Outstanding Universal Value of the SundarbanProject
- Position : Project Manager
- Location: Dhaka based, with scope of travel to project area
- Application Deadline : 30 January 2020
- Type of Contract:Service Contract
- Languages Required: English
- Expected Starting Date :February 2020
- Duration of Initial Contract : Project Period (Two years)
- Remuneration : As per project document provision
The Sundarban has both local and global significance due to its diversity, uniqueness, and richness of the ecosystem. An overall plan of approach is being initiated by the present government, reinforced with concrete vision to accommodate infrastructural shifts imparted by rapid development. This is to ease-in changes and shifts into nature and ecosystem and to ensure environmental sustainability; fulfilling the visions of both 2021 and 2041. In this context, the present government has taken a visionary initiative to undertake a comprehensive Strategic Environmental Assessment (SEA) for the sustainable conservation of Sundarban. This study aims at striking a dynamic balance between the biodiversity of the Sundarban and the current development drive.
The overall objective of the Project is to develop a comprehensive framework in the form of a Environmental Management Plan (EMP) for the South West (SW) region of Bangladesh to support decision making of concerned nine sectors that will have an effect on the environment of the region and in particular the Sundarban. To achieve the overall objective following specific objectives have been identified for carrying out the SEA study:
(a)To promote sustainable development strategies in the SW region for conservation of the Sundarban;
(b)To develop alternative strategies to minimize the direct, indirect as well as cumulative impacts on the Sundarban; andTo administer environmental performance management to both public and private sectors in accordance with future development activities of concerned nine sectors namely; forest, fisheries, water resources, power and energy, tourism, urbanization industry, transportation/communication and shipping.
Duties and Responsibilities of Project Manager:
The incumbent will be responsible for implementation of the project, including mobilization of all project inputs, supervision of project consultants and oversight of sub-contractors (if any). The PM will liaise with nine identified sector officials, other government agencies, consulting Firm and all stakeholders involved in the project.
- Develop annual and quarterly work plans and operational budgets and ensure timely submission of these documents to PD.
- Supervise the implementation of all SEA project components, activities and tasks in line with the corresponding work plans and budgets;
- Supervise appointed consulting firm’s and individual consultant’s day to day activities and report to PD;
- Supervise management of the programme budget and ensure delivery of budget as per approved work plans;
- Recommendation and clearance of transactions under the programme, as directed by PD;
- Ensure the timely submission of reports, outputs and other deliverable to PD for review and evaluation;
- Oversee the stakeholder engagement in different phases of SEA process (Screening, Scoping, reporting etc.)
- Coordinate with nine selected sectors for conducting SEA and other government & NGO whenever required;
- Prepare and ensure prompt submission of required technical and financial reports; recommending appropriatemeasures for enhancement of efficiency and effectiveness and endorsing to PD for review/integration and eventual presentation to FD and MoEFCC;
- Develop and implement monitoring and evaluation mechanism for financial, administrative, and operational activities and ensure timely submission of progress and financial reports;
- Ensure coordination of programme activities and effective communication with all stakeholders to facilitate smooth implementation of the programme;
- Identify and monitor issues and risks regarding the delivery of programme outputs and activities and recommend remedial actions to PD;Required Qualification and Experiences
- Masters in forestry/Natural Resources Management/ Environmental Science/Environmental Management.
- At least 12years’ experience including 2years inlarge-scale and complex projects covering all aspects of project cycle management including financial management,
- budgeting, administration, human resources, monitoring and evaluation, auditing, and reporting
- Sound understanding of Forestry & Environmental programme, National, regional and global development concerns, climate change discourse
- Extensive business and information exchange contacts with national and international agencies involved in local and international in relation to FD;
- Proven track record of working with government, NGOs, and other key stakeholders in Bangladesh;
- Demonstrated track record in the management, monitoring and reporting of development and/or natural resource management projects, preferably working with government, NGOs, and other key stakeholders in Bangladesh;
- Experience in guiding and supervising multi-disciplinary consultants;
- Excellent English drafting and presentation skills;•Excellent verbal skills in English and Bangla.
Strategic Environmental Assessment (SEA) of South West (SW) Region of Bangladesh for conserving outstanding universal value of the Sundarban project
- Position: Junior consultant (Accounts and Finance)
- Number of Position: 01
- Type of Contract: Individual Contract
- Duration:Project period, 24 months
- Duty Station: PMU, Dhaka
- Application Deadline:30 January2020
- Salary:As per project provision
The Junior consultant will be based in the Project Director’s (PD) office, Banbhaban, Agargaon, Dhaka and will report to the Project Director on routine and on account & financial matters. The consultant is expected to undertake activities (scope of services) mentioned below in order to achieve the stated objective. The consultant may have to travel to project area or other places if necessary. The deliverables will be submitted in electronic and hard copy form on time by the consultant to PD through Project manager.
Objectives of the assignment To lead the process of financial and accounting management of the SEA project.
Scope of services The consultant will work under the direct control and supervision of the PD. For administrative matters S/he will report to the PD through the PM. S/he will perform the following duties and responsibilities:
•Ensure project accounting and disbursement system following the government rules, regulation and guideline for the project;
•Work with Project Manager for financial and budget planning, cost accounting, auditing, etc. under the supervision of PD;
•Maintain Books of Account at Project Management Unit (PMU) level;
•Prepare Interim Unaudited Financial Reports (IUFRs) and obtain authorization from the designated person(s);
•Prepare withdrawal applications and obtain authorization from the designated person(s);
•Ensure the efficient cash flow position of the project;
•Continually assess fiduciary risks at the field level implementation and report any concerns to the PD;
•All other work related to project accounting and financial management under direct supervision of PD.
Qualification and Experience
•Bachelor degree in Commerce /BBA in commerce with partly completed professional accounting qualification CA, CMA, ACCA etc.
•Trained on Financial Management/Accounting software application;
•Have hands-on experience in Microsoft or similar computerized Accounting;
•Minimum 4 years in project accounting and financial management or similar responsibilities, preferably with GOB funded project;
•Proven track record to develop a Chart of Accounts befitting the relevant computerized accounting system and the report;
•Capacity to work with National and International consultant for financial matters
•In depth knowledge of technical and legal aspects of financial management in development projects, financed by government;
•Proficiency in computer operation with experience of working independently; and
•Must possess excellent communication skills in English, both written and spoken.List of reports, schedules ofdeliveries, period of performance: The following are the key outputs of the Junior consultant (Accounts and Finance) on periodical and ad-hoc basis for the overall project:
•Financial and physical reports (monthly, quarterly, and annually)
•Cash book preparation of monthly expenditure
•Accounting books of primary records
•Bank Reconciliation Statement
•Prepare bills / vouchers (Debit/Credit/Journal)
•Fixed Asset Register
•Any other relevant task as directed by Director/PM